How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3
Dal-kichadi – a maharashtrian dish prepared with a combination of Basumati rice and toor dal accompanied with all masala ingredients and relished with a dash of pure ghee garnished with onions, cilantro and potato chips just like the Karnataka special dish Bisibele bhath. The only difference could be that we add a lot of vegetables and a masala with dry copra and tamarind juice. This dish is surprisingly very light on the stomach and tasty too !
What you need to have:
1.Toor dal – 3/4 cup
2. Basumati Rice – 1/4 cup
3. Water – 3 and 1/2 cups (to cook the dish)
Ingredients of Dal-kichadi
Other ingredients of seasoning & garnishing:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Chopped tomatoes – 1/3 cup
3. Chopped cilantro – a handful (for garnishing)
4. Fresh grated coconut – 1-2 tablespoon (optional )
5. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
6. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
7. Tej patha – 1-2
8. Masala cardamom – 2
9. Cloves – 4
10. Cinnamon stick – 2 pieces
11. Garlic pods – 4-5 (chopped fine)
12. Curry leaves – a few
13. pepper – 4-5
14. Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
15. Dhania-jeera powder – 1/2 teaspoon
16. Garam-masala powder – a little
17. Goda masala powder – 1 teaspoon
18. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
19. Green chili – 2
20. Ginger chopped – 1/2 teaspoon
21. butter – 2 tablespoons
22. Salt – to taste
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a cooker with 2 tablespoons of butter in it on medium flame. On heating add tej patha to it. On frying add whole spices like the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves , curry leaves and finally slit green chili to it.
Seasoning in progress
2. When fried add chopped onions and tomatoes and salt and fry till tomatoes turn mushy and onions also fried along with it.
Chopped onions & tomatoes being fried
3. When fried add chopped ginger, chopped garlic pods and fry for a while. Now add all powders in a row and just give a stir to it.
All powders added in a row
4. When done add toor dal and rice to it and also give a stir and add 3 and 1/2 cups of water to it checking for salt. Close the lid and cook for 30 minutes as usual on sim flame and switch off heat.
Cooker ready to cook dal-kichadi
5. Transfer it to serving dish and garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped onion and the yummy potato chipssss !!
Ready to serrve Dal-kichadi
Good to remember:
1. It is better to use basumati rice for this dish rather than the ordinary raw rice.
2. This dish should be semi solid as shown in the image and hence the above mentioned quantity of water should be added.
3. using coconut is purely optional for garnishing. one can omit it for sure.