PLEASE CHECK THIS LINK ON YOUTUBE FOR THE SAME RECIPE BY ME
Kindly check this link https://youtu.be/UlGDzrK8guM
How many: 15 of the above size
How long it takes: 1 hour in all
Copra/Kobbari is dry coconut. On the other hand, Holige is stuffed sweet flat indian roti and the most popular variety is the Puran Poli. I have already put up a few of them namely Puran Poli, Toor Dal Poli, Moong Dal poli, Sweet potato poli, Sanjeera and also date poli etc. This is a variation where copra and sugar form the stuffing in this sweet roti. This is an age old recipe that I borrowed from my mom-in-law.
What you need to have: (for the stuffing)
1. Grated copra – 2 cups
2. Sugar – 2 cups
3. Cardamom – 25-30
4. Walmuts & almonds – as required
Ingredients of stuffing
Powdered copra, sugar & cardamom
Ingredients of the outer dough
1. Maida – 1 cup
2. Wheat atta – 1/2 cup
3. Salt – to taste
4. Cooking oil – 2-3 tablespoons
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve atta and maida in the siever with salt and make a paliable dough adding water in steps. Later on add cooking raw oil slowly and add a little oil to it on top of it and let it rest for about an hour.
Outer dough of the roti
2. Powder grated copra, almonds, walnuts & sugar in the mixer to a medium fine consistency with cardamom and keep it aside as shown above.
3. Make lemon size balls with the mixture and place it aside as shown in the image below.
The stuffing being shaped
3. Pinch out the required quantity of the dough and knead it well and roll it into a small disc and place the copra sugar mixture ball in it (one may even powder it if can not close it properly) and close the edges tight and roll it very lightly with the roller to required thickness so that the mixture spreads through out the roti as shown below.
Pinched out dough, filling placed and rolled roti
4. Place a chapati tawa on medium flame. When heated splash a little ghee while placing the rolled roti on it. Flip it and roast till brown dots appear on it and it is done.
Rolled roti being fried
Roti being flipped & roasted
Roti being roasted
5. Repeat the same process for rest of the dough. When cooled stre it in an air tight container. Remains for more than 15 days.
A closer view of roti
Good to remember:
1. Copra should be grated and sugar should be powdered in the mixer to a medium coarse consistency with dry fruits. Dry copra should be a best option.
2. Rolling the roti once the filling is placed is very important. One needs to be careful so that the stuffing should be spread even throughout the roti else the outer dough will remain on the edges making the roti a little hard. The outer dough itself should be well-kneaded.