Cabbage/Kosgadde in english and kannada respectively is used in a number of dishes. I have already put up Cabbage Bhuthi, Cabbage Sanna polo and Cabbage Paratha. This recipe today is for the Cabbage rice, a great combination with either tomato salad or just like that.
What you need to have:
1. Cooked basumati rice – 2 cups
2. Chopped cabbage – 3 cups
3. Green peas – 1 and 1/2 cup
4. Chopped onions – 1 cup
5. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
6. Red chilli pieces -= 8-10
7. Curry leaves – 2-3 sprigs
8. Raisins – A handful
9. Cooking oil -3-4 teaspoons
10. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of seasoning
Chopped Cabbage & Green peas
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
2. Mint leaves – 2 tablespoons
3. Ginger – 1″ piece
4. Green chilli – 3-4
5. Bilimbi – 1
6. Cinnamon – 1 ” piece
7. Cloves – 3-4
8. Cilantro – 1 tablespoon
Ingredients of wet masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and peal onions lengthwise. Wash and chop cabbage fine and keep it aside.
2. Cook green peas in cooker adding a little salt till soft. Also later on cook basumati rice in the cooker in such a way that each grains are separated rather than sticky. Let the cooked rice cool down.
Cooked basumati rice
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add cumin seeds to it. When it splutters add raisins, red chilli pieces and curry leaves. When fried add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to the dish and fry till transparent.
Seasoning in progress
4. When onions is fried and transparent add chopped cabbage from step 1 to it and close it with a lid till it turns soft and cooked.
Chopped cabbage being added
Cabbage being cooked in seasoning
5. Grind all ingredients of wet masala in the mixer to a fine but thick consistency adding a water in steps.
6. When cabbage is cooked and also the wet masala from step 5 to it. On mixing add cooked green peas too to it. Add cooked rice from step 2 to it and give a stir with a wooden spatula checking for salt.
Wet masala being added
Cooked green peas & rice being added
7. Transfer it to a serving plate and enjoy it with a dash of tomato sauce or a salad.
Ready to serve cabbage rice with tomato sauce
Number of servings: 4-6
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh and tender cabbage for the dish also chop it fine.
2. Cook rice in such a way that each grain is separate and not over cooked. Always use a wooden spatula to mix the masala finally so that it does not get crushed and turn soggy.
3. Using mint leaves is an option.