Banana stem even though is not very popular at home we prepare a few dishes like the Kosambari, bharith and here comes the stir fry today. Banana stem has to be very tender and we have to use the inner most tender part of the stem for this stir fry after removing the thread like structures in it. It turns out to be very tasty and can be relished with rice and dal. We call it “Gabbe Upkari” in konkani and Here it goes:
What you need to have:
1. Chopped tender banana stem – 2 cups
2. Chopped tomato – 1/2 cup
3. Garlic pods – 4-6
4. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Green chili – 1 (less spicy)
7. Cooking oil – 1 teaspoon
8. Salt – to taste
Ingredients of banana stem stir fry
What you do with what you have:
1. Chop banana stem fine after removing threads from it, peel garlic, slit green chili and keep it aside as shown in image 1.
2. Place a skillet with a teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low flame. Add crushed garlic to it and fry it till light brown. Add chopped tomatoes to it and fry it till mushy adding required quantity of salt to it.
Chopped tomatoes being fried
3. When done add green chili and all powders in a row to just stir it.
Greeen chili & the powders added to seasoning
4. Finally add chopped banana stem and let it cook till done closing it with a lid and checking it frequently. Enjoy with rice and dal even though very simple and tasty !
Chopped banana stem added to the seasoning
Ready to serve banana stem stir fry
Time taken : 45 minutes(including chopping)
Good to remember:
1. One can even add Dhania-jeera powder if needed.
2. Banana stem should be very tender and should be chopped fine to cook faster.
3. Yet another option is to add jeera and asafoetida powder instead of garlic for this dish for seasoning.