Number of jamus: 40
How long it takes: 1 hour
Here comes the 500th recipe on this blog. And naturally I am putting one of my favorite delicacies. Jamuns are an elegant dish and can be served for most occasions. You can even have this prepared couple days in advance of a party which can’t be said of most deserts. My mom used to make this with home made cream with some all-purpose flour with a pinch of cooking soda. That is one of its kind and I will put that up soon. When I made this we were in New York and ricotta cheese was available readily and it was a good chance to make this one ! Enjoy away!
Ingredients of Ricotta cheese jamoon
What you need to have:
1.Ricotta cheese – 425 grams (150 OZ)
2. All purpose flour(maida) – 2 and 1/2 tablespoon
3. Baking soda – 1/8 teaspoon
4. Cooking oil to fry jamoon – 1 cup
Ingredients of sugar syrup:
1. Sugar – 1 and 3/4 cup
2. Water – 2 and 1/2 cup
3. Cardmom powder – 1 teaspoon
4. Saffron/Kesar – A few strings
5. Lemon juice – 1/2 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Empty the cheese can and transfer the contents to a broad bowl and put it on normal heat and stir it well with a wooden spatula till it turns like granules.
Cheese being heated on low flame
Ricotta cheese being turned to granules
2. Sieve maida with baking soda and keep it aside. On cooling mix it to the ricotta cheese and shape it into round balls greasing your palm.
3. Place a skillet with cooking oil in it on low/medium flame. On heating add one by one like 5-6 in a batch and fry them till it is light brown.
Jamoons being fried in oil
Jamoons being fried till brown
Both fried and round raw jamoons
4. Peal and powder cardamom and keep aside. Also keep ready a few strings of kesar too. Grate a few pista too and keep it aside to garnish jamoon while serving.
5. Heat water in a pan and on boiling add sugar to it and boil for about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice to it. Add cardamom powder from step 2 to it and also add saffron strings and switch off the flame and keep it aside.
Sugar syrup being boiled
6. On jamoons being cooled add it to the syrup. It swells and turns smooth and yummmmmmmmmm Garnish with pista and enjoy!!!!
Ready to serve ricotta cheese jamoon garnished with pista
Good to remember:
1. Cheese should be cooked just till it tuns into granules, but should not be totally dry!!!!
2. If it turns difficult to shape them one can add a sprinkle a little milk to the dough.
3. Always fry jamoons on low flame only. The reason being that if one fries it on high flame it only turns brown from out side without being cooked from inside and in turn jamoons will be hard as a result.
4. Always add fried jamoons on cooling to the hot syrup so that they absorb the syrup and turn out very smooth.
5. Lemon juice is added for to avoid the syrup from crystalize on cooling!!!.