How many Pakoras : around 20 of above size
How long it takes: 45 minutes in all
I am not going to introduce this dish. Onion as a garnish does wonders to a typical dish. This dish is essentially onion. This was the most common street-food from my college days – Onion Bhajhi/Neeruli bajhe(in kannada) and the Bengalgram Dal Vada can never be forgotten. Today I would like to put up this onion bhaji which I prepared on a freezing winter evening here in New York City. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Chopped onions – 4 cups
2. Besan atta – 1/2 cup (approx)
3. Rice atta – 2 tablespoons (approx)
4. Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Asafoetida powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Green chili -2
8. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
9. Cilantro chopped – a handful
10. Salt – as needed
11. Cooking oil -2 teaspoon
12. Cooking oil to fry- 2 cups (approx)
Ingredients of onion bhajhi
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peel and chop onions lengthwise and keep it aside.
Onions chopped lengthwise
2. Just mix salt to the chopped onions and all other ingredients like the chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, chopped green chili, cumin seeds and mix well so that it releases a little moisture to add atta later on.
All powders and salt added to onions
3. Add both rice atta and mix it well. Later on add besan atta in steps mixing it every now and then to get to the required just droping consistency. Do not add water at all and on adding salt whatever moisture releases would be sufficient enough to mix both the atta. This will turn the bhajhi crispy!!!
Onion bhajhi consistency
4. Place a skillet with 1.5 cups of cooking oil in it on the medium flame. On heating just drop onion bhajhi in it and fry till brown and crispy. Flip and fry on both the sides till crispy and brown. Place it in a colander with tissue paper to get rid of extra oil if any.
Onion bhajhi being fried in oil
5. Enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee. Yum !
A closer view of the dish
Good to remember:
1. Onions should be chopped lengthwise to get the proper shape for the dish.
2. Do not even sprinkle water since the dish will turn soggy.
3. Fry till it turns crispy and brown.