Beetroot a colourful veggie when added to any dish gives an awesome colour, even if the taste may get overshadowed by other ingredients. I have put up a few dishes like the Beeetroot rice, Sasam, Beetroot Salad, Beetroot Halwa and here comes the cutlet to add to the long list of cutlets on this blog. Of course, talking of cutlets, this blog has hosted a few others – vermicelli cutlet, corn cutlet, drumstick blossoms cutlet and the classic veg cutlet on this blog. This was a request recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Grated beetroot – 4 cups
2. Mashed potato – 1 cup
1. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Chopped onions – 1 cup
3. Chopped green chily – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
4. Galic paste – 1 teaspoon
5. Garam masala – 1 teaspoon (home made)
6. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
7. Chopped cilantro – a handful
8. Salt – As per taste
9. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, wipe and peal beetroot with a kitchen towel and grate it fine. Wash and peel potatoes and cook it in the cooker till smooth, just crush green peas in the mixer and keep it aside.
2. Wash, peal and chop onion fine, chop green chily, cilantro fine and peel garlic and ginger and keep aside.
3. Place a skillet with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in on low/medium flame and on heating add cum in seeds to it and allow it to splutter. When done add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to the dish and keep stirring. When it turns transparent add chopped green chily, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala powder and add grated beetroot to it and close it with a lid on low flame. When grated beetroot is cooked add crushed green peas and mashed potatoes to it and allow it to cool for a while. Mashed potatoes, crushed green peas being added
4. When done finally add lemon juice and chopped cilantro and mix well to form a paliable mixture.
7. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it and on heating place the cutllets o it and fry it till done on low/medium flame. When done flip and fry it on the reverse till it is brown and crispy. Make sure you do not burn it as the colour of the cutlet is also reddish be careful to see that you fry it carefully.
Dusted cutlets being shallow fried
Cutlets being fried on the reverse
8. Enjoy with either tomato sauce or even green mint chutney. Yum!!!!!!!!!!
Good to remember:
1. By grating beet and cooking later with onions one can get rid of the moisture in it easily.
2. Dusting in either rusk powder or bread crumbs will bind the cutlets to shallow fry them too.
3. I prefer to shallow fry cutlets than deep fry to minimize oil intake. Shallow frying is particularly recommended if the mix is refrigerated.