Number of Parathas: 8 of the above size
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Here comes Zuchini parathas on the heels of the stir fry a few days ago. I tried it a couple of times and was a total disaster because of the excessive moisture content in Zuchini but since we all love to have stuffed parathas instead of the plain ones, I kept changing and trying variations till it worked out. I squeezed out the juice from the veggie and used it to make the outer dough and added roasted peanut powder which helps retain the stuffing and turned out very tasty.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh grated zuchini – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. grated boiled potato – 1/2 cup
3. chopped onions – 1/2 cup (fried later)
4. peanut powder – 1/2 cup
5. dhania-jeera powder – 1 teaspoon
6. chili powder – 1 teaspoon
7. turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
8. dry mango powder – 1 teaspoon
9. garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon (home made)
10. chopped cilantro – 2 tablespoons
11. salt – to taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate zuchini and squeeze out the juice as far as possible and use it to make the outer dough and keep it aside.
2. Wash and boil potato in the cooker/microwave as usual till smooth. Peal and grate it on cooling.
3. Dry roast peanuts and peal and powder it in the mixer to a medium fine consistency.
4. Wash, peal and chop onions fine and fry it in a skillet adding a little oil and salt till transparent.
Ingredients of the stuffing
5.Mix Grated zuchini, grated potato fried onions,roasted peanut powder, dry mango powder, chili powder, turmeric powder,garam masala powder, dhania-jeera powder & chopped cilantro,grated garlic and salt in a bowl and mix it.
6. shape the mix into round balls and keep it aside.
Stuffing being shaped into round balls
Ingredients of the outer dough:
1. Wheat atta – 2 cups
2. salt – as per taste
3. Cooking oil – 23 teaspoon
Ingredients of the outer dough
7. Mix atta, salt and cooking oil in a bow and adding water in steps prepare a soft and paliable dough and keep it aside.
8. Pinch out a lemon sized dough and roll it into 4″ disc and place the stuffing in it and close the edges with the outer dough so that on rolling it would not ooze out. Roll it on a plastic sheet to medium thickness as shown below.
Douth, rolled disc & the stuffing placed in the disc
Rolled zuchini paratha
9. Place a skillet and splash a little cooking oil/ghee on it and on heating, place the paratha on it. Fry both sides till brown colored dots appear on the paratha puffs up.
Paratha being roasted
10. Repeat the same process for the remaining parathas and serve hot with chutney powder or even with curds and pickle!!!
Paratha roasted on the reverse
Ready to serve Zuchini parathas
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh Zuchini so that if frozen lot of juice and can not be suitable.
2. The outer dough should be soft and pliable so that on rolling after stuffing it will not ooze out.