Ready to serve instant vegetable pickle
How long it takes: 6 hours
This is one of the classic vegetable pickle which is a must in the menu for most of the weddings and other ceremonies. For this pickle we must always use fresh and tender vegetables, and should be chopped fine to mix up and consume immediately. This is not a conventional oil based pickle, it is water based. This means 2 things – a) it is healthy ! b) however, it has low shelf life of about 2-3 weeks and has to remain refrigerated between serving. I have got many requests for this recipe and am glad I got a chance to put this up ! Here is my version of the same:
What you need to have:
1. chopped tindura – 1 cup (preferably tender)
2. chopped cauliflower – 1 cup
3. chopped carrots – 1/2 cup
4. chopped long beans – 1/2 cup(preferably tender)
5. chopped raw mango/bilimbi – 1/2 cup(i have replaced with chopped lemon)
6. chopped green chili & ginger – 1/4 cup (green chili 5-6 and ginger a sizable piece)
Ingredients of wet masala(raw)
1. kashmiri chili powder – 4-5 tablespoon
2. mustard dal – 2 and 1/2 tablespoon
3. fenugreek seeds – 1/3 teaspoon
4. asafoetida (soft)- size of a peanut
5. turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
6. table salt – 1/3 cup (approx)
7. water – 3 cups(may use as much as needed)
Ingredients of masala to be fried in oil:
1. black mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
2. fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
3. asafoetida (soft) – size of a peanut dal
4. turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop all the veggies into small pieces and pat dry the same on a dry towel for about 3-4 hours till it is completely free of moisture.
2. Place a broad based bowl with 3 cups of water in it. Add salt and bring it to boil and let it boil for another 5 minutes on low flame. Allow it to cool completely. Add chopped veggies to it and let it stand for about 2-3 hours in it.
3. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon cooking oil in it and fry asafoetida in it till crispy. Later on fry mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds and switch off the flame and keep it aside. Allow it to cool.4. Grind chili powder, mustard dal, fenugreek seeds, asfoetida, turmeric powder and also fried cooled ingredients adding salt water from the veggies to a fine consistency. Allow it to cool. On cooling add it to the veggies from step 2 to it and refrigerate it. Yummmmmm!!!!! Enjoy with rice and dal or even with idli, dosa etc..,The gravy in the pictorial at the bottom may appear to be thin but will be fine in a couple of days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Do not add all water and may wait for about 2 hours to settle for the consistency of pickle , since veggies absorb it and one would exactly know how much of salt water has to be added to it. If not adding more of salt water(i mean the salt water in which chopped veggies is immersed) check for salt and only add a little if needed , stir and then bottle it. USE ONLY DRY SPOONS FOR SERVING & PRESERVE IT IN THE REFRIGERATOR!!!!!!!!!!
Good to remember:
1. All the veggies should be fresh and tender for best results.
2. The reason to add a little of the fried masala is for extra flavor.
3. It should be refrigerated all the time. Never use a wet spoon for serving !
4. Please do not keep it outside at all to avoid it from getting perished!!!!!!
5. On adding the grind masala one may not add the whole salt solution to the pickle and may wait for a while for the pickle to settle down and then do the needful as instructed above in the text.