This is a unique dish from the Udupi Brahmin community. This is simple to make much like Dalithoy but with vegetables like Okra, Winter Melon/Ash gourd, Bottle gourd, Egg plant/Brinjal, it is more of a sambhar than just dal. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Chopped okra – 3 Cups
2. Toor dal – 1/2 Cup
3. Green chilly – 2-3 (less spicy)
4. Tamarind – A generous lump
5. Jaggery – 1 Tablespoon
6. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Salt – As per taste
8. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
Toor Dal & ingredients of Seasoning
Chopped Okra and other ingredients
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Red chilli pieces – 4-5
4. Curry leaves – 2-3 Sprigs
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and soak Toor dal in water for about 15 minutes. Cook with about 1.5 cups of water for about 20 minutes.
2. Wash, wipe and chop okra into bite size pieces and keep it aside as shown above. Transfer it to a broad based bowl and add slit green chilly, jaggery, salt, turmeric powder, Asafoetida powder, salt, Jaggery, Tamarind and 1.5 cups water and allow it to cook on medium flame till right.
3. When cooked right, transfer cooked dal to the bowl and bring it to the right consistency by adding water in steps. Ii have transfered the whole dish to another bowl.)
4. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters, add red chilli pieces, asafoetida powder and finally curry leaves to it. Season the dish. Ready to serve Bolu huli is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with rice and a spicy papad.
How long it takes: 45 mins
Number of servings: 2-3
Note: 1. Tender Okras is most prefered to this dish. Other veggies like Ash gourd, Bottle gourd is also most prefered.
2. Cooking veggies on direct flame is to cook it to the right consistency, so that one can get to relish the veggie.
3. Seasoning enhances the taste of this dish – remember, it has no as it has no masala contents.