Ready to serve Drumstick greens rice
This one is Drumstick /Nugge/Mashingasanga in English, Kannada and konkani respectively. This vegetable is somewhat unique and not the most versatile. However, it goes selectively into dishes providing a provides a special something to the flavor of the dish. It is a good combination with Egg plant, and also the popular South Indian Sambar! In this post however, I am using the greens of this vegetable ( see photo below) as the main source of flavor in this rice dish. You can think of dish as a variation of the more popular Methi pulav – both the leaves by themselves are a bit bitter but makes for a great pulav nevertheless.
Give this a shot – you may never have had anything made out of these leaves before, which is one more reason to try this one ! ( And no, this is not the first time I am using Drumstick greens – old-timers might recall this recipe from nearly 4 years ago – Drumstick Greens Paratha !)
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings: 4
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 Cup
2. Drumstick greens – 2 cups
3. Chopped Ridge gourd – 1/2 cup
4. Chopped Capsicum – 1/2 cup
Basumati Rice washed & drainedFresh Drumstick greensChopped veggiesIngredients of Seasoning
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 1 cup
2. Chopped Tomatoes – 1/4 cup
3. Coconut milk – 1 Cup(thick)
4. Raisins and Cashew – a handful
5. Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
6. Garam masala powder – 1 /2 Teaspoon
7. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
9. Salt – To taste
10. Cooking oil – 2 Tablespoons
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from Basumati rice and keep aside.
2. Wash and chop Capsicum and remove the ridges of the gourd and chop.
3. Wash, peal and chop onions lengthwise. Chop tomatoes and cashews. Also extract coconut milk from fresh grated coconut.
4. Place a cooker with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it. When it splutters, add chopped tomatoes and fry till done.
Chopped tomatoes being fried in oil
5. When the contents are fried, add chopped onions from step 2 and salt as per taste. Fry till transparent. Onions being fried in oil
6. When done, add all powders and ginger-garlic paste and fry till you get a pleasant aroma. Ginger-Garlic paste and powders being added to seasoning
7. When done, add chopped veggies and also fresh drumstick greens from step 1 and just stir for a while. Drumstick greens , chopped veggies being added to seasoning
8. Finally add Basumati rice to it and just fry for a minute. Add coconut milk and water to the dish. Check for salt and close the lid of the cooker and cook for about 20 minutes.
Basumati rice being addedCoconut milk being added to the dish
9. When done just transfer it to a serving dish and enjoy with salad or even plain or with plain curds. Ready to serve Drumstick greens rice
Good to remember:
1. Tender Drumstick greens is the best option ofor this dish.
2. Veggies like French Beans too can be used .
3. Both thick and the second light coconut milk also can be used.