Banana is available round the year and I wonder if this might be one reason why it is a preferred offering to the almighty – no Pooja would be held up due to unavailability of the banana – so pragmatic of our ancestors, if I may say! This sweet can be a prasad for any pooja and can be prepared in no time. Moreover, it can be prepared with any variety of Bananas. I have used the Elaichi Banana which is very sweet and is from our own garden 🙂
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Ripe Bananas – 1 cup
2. Fresh grated Coconut – 2-3 Tablespoons
3. Chopped Jaggery – As per taste
4. Cardamom – 3-4
5. Pure ghee – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Banana sweet dish
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal and chop bananas, grate coconut, chop jaggery, peal and powder cardamom and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with a little pure ghee on low flame. When melted add fresh grated coconut, chopped jaggery and also pure ghee to it.
Jaggery being heated
3. When heated, all the ingredients get combined to form an ideal mixture. One can even add sugar in place of jaggery. Add chopped bananas to it and switch off the flame and add cardamom powder to it and stir well. Add any dry fruits of your choice. (I have added only Raisins) When my kids were little and growing, I used to prepare this dish once a week at least I think.
Chopped Bananas being added to the coconut jaggery mix
How long it takes: 15 minutes
Good to know:
1. Use ripe Bananas for this dish.
2. Sugar also can be replaced by jaggery.
3. Dry fruits of your choice can be used.
4. Do not cook Bananas for long.