How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5
We make ghashi with any Lentils and among them Chane ghashi is the most popular one. It is really a combination of Chana and a vegetable with coconut gravy as the base. This dish is a must in the menu in most of our functions like the wedding, house warming ceremony and also in any parties too. Here I have used white radish which is not typical but turned out great when I tried anyway. My mom used to prepare this combination in my childhood due to the non availability of the more appropriate vegetable for this dish – namely raw jackfruit. Never mind, here now is my version of Chane ghashi.
What you need to have:
1. Kabul chana – 1/3 Cup
2. Chopped White Radish pieces – 1 and 1/3 cup
Ingredients of Kabul Chana Ghashi
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated Coconut – 1/3 Cup
2. Red Chillies – 4-5(Byadgi)
3. Almonds – 6-8 (Soaked in warm water an hour before later pealed)
4. Bilimbi or Tamarind – A little
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak Kabuli Chana in water over night. Wash, peel and chop white radish into small pieces to match the size of chana and cook both in the cooker till done sprinkling a little salt and adding required quantity of water.
Kabuli Chana & Radish being cooked
2. Once condensed, transfer the cooked ingredients to a bowl.
Cooked Chana and Radish
3. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low flame. On heating, fry red chilly in it till crispy. Switch off the flame and add turmeric powder to it to get rid of the raw smell.
Red Chilli fried in oil
4. Grind the ingredients of wet masala adding fried chilli in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency. Ground Wet Masala is as shown in the image below.
Ground Wet Masala
5. Add the ground wet masala to cooked ingredients from step-4 to it adding required quantity of water to bring it to the required consistency. Check for salt and bring it to boil.
Masala being added to cooked veggie
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Asafoetida powder – 1/4 Teaspoon
3. Red chilli – 1
4. Fenugreek seeds – 5-6
4. Curry leaves – 3-4 Sprigs
Ingredients of Seasoning
6. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. Once heater, add mustard seeds to it. When they splutters, add asafoetida powder, red chilli pieces and finally add curry leaves. Season it to the dish from step 5 to it.
Ready to serve Kabul Chana Ghashi
1. Actually, you can other lentils for the dish as well – not just this chana.
2. Cooking it to make sure its soft makes a big difference to the taste. Sometimes due to the quality it may not cook at the first instance. Check and cook again.
3. People even use Yam as a combination for the dish.