Cluster Beans/Chitmidkesang/Gorikayi in English/Konkani/Kannada. Cluster Beans are not as popular as the regular french Beans but its fiber content and medicinal value has a lot going for it ! This beans as such is also a bit bitter compared to regular beans that is rather sweet. I put up Cluster Beans stir fry long ago on this blog and today I would like to put up yet another dish – this is also a dry curry dish which you can enjoy with rice and roti. The recipe, some of you might recognize, is actually a Gujju dish ! Here we go !
What you need to have:
1. Chooped Cluster Beans – 3 Cups
2. Mustard – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Cumin seeds – 1/4 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – A pinch
5. Curry leaves – 1-2 Sprigs
6. Cooking oil – 2-3 Teaspoon
Chopped Cluster Beans
Ingredients of Seasoning
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fesh grated Coconut – 3 Tablespoon
2. Ajwain seeds – 1/4 Teaspoon
3. Red Chilli -3
4. Bilimbi 1-2
5. Jaggery – A little liberal
6. Salt – As per taste Taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop off the tip and bottom of cluster beans and keep it aside as shown in image 2.
2. Place a skillet with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it starts spluttering, add cumin seeds to it. Finally add curry leaves and Turmeric powder too.
Seasoning in progress
Ingredients of Wet Masala
3. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated, fry red chilli in it. Switch off the flame and add Ajwain seeds to it. Grind the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency.
Ground Wet Masala
4. Add the wet masala from step 2 to the seasoning from step 1 and let it cook for a while there.
Wet Masala being fried in the seasoning
5. When done, add chopped cluster beans from step 1 to it. Stir, add a little water and close it with a lid stirring at regular intervals. When cooked transfer it to a serving bowl and serve with rice/roti. Yummmmm !
Cluster Beans being cooked with seasoning & Masala
6. Ready to serve cluster beans curry is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Cluster Beans curry
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5
Good to remember:
1. Use very tender beans for better taste.
2. Jaggery is a must for this dish.
3. Adding Ajwain gives a unique touch, so try that.