Oats theses days one of our favorites here at home. I have already put up a few oats based dishes like the Oat idli, Oats Upma, Oat-Poha upma and here now adding one more to this series is the Oats-Poha Chivda. Some of you might recognize this dish and find it similar to the traditional poha-upkari that I put up here a couple years ago. It is a healthy, tasty and easy to prepare, so what more can you ask for ! Ideal for an evening tiffin.
What you need to have:
1. Oats – 1 and 1/2 Cup
2. Beaten Rice (Thin) – 1 cup
3. Dalia Dal – 1/4 Cup
4. Peanuts – A handful
5. Cashews – A handful
6. Raisins – A handful
Oats and Thin Poha/Beaten rice
Other ingredients of the dish
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Green chilly – 2-3
3. Red Chilly -1
4. Curry leaves – 2-3 Sprigs
5. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Chilli poiwder – 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Sugar powder – 1 Teaspoon(optional)
9. Salt – as needed
10. Garam masala powder – A pinch(optional)
11. Amchur powder – A pinch(optional)
12. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet on low flame with oats in it and warm it up till it turns crispy and a nutty aroma oozes out.
Oats being warmed up
2. Place a skillet with 2 Tablespoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated fry cashews in it till it turns light brown and crispy. Transfer it to another bowl and keep it aside.
Cashews being fried
3. In the same skillet fry Peanuts as well till crispy. Transfer it to the same bowl to which the fried cashews are placed.
Peanuts being fried in oil
4. Place a skillet with only 2 Teaspoons of cooking oil in on medium flame. On being heated add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters add split green chilly, red chjilly pieces, and curry leaves. When done, add Raisins to it and stir well till it swells and fries.
Seasoning in progress with raisins being fried in it
5. When fried add Dalia dal and also all the powders in a row.
All powders being added in a row to the seasoning
6. Finally, add fried Cashews, Peanuts from step-2 and 3 to it and also warmed up Oats from step-1 to it and also Beaten rice and salt , powdered sugar, Garam masala powder, A pinch of Amtur powder and toss well and and leave it on low flame for about 2-3 minutes stiring with a wooden spatula so that oats is not powdered.
Oats and Beaten Rice being added to the Seasoning
7. Transfer it to bowl and you are all set. You can garnish with shredded coconut if you wish. Yummmmmmmmmmmm ! Also one can even relish it with chopped onions and cilantro too!!!!!!!
Ready to serve Oats Poha Chivda
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
1. Thin Beaten Rice/Poha should be used for the dish. We normally dry the poha in the strong sun for about an hour to get rid of the raw smell.
2. Oats should be warmed up on low/medium flame depending upon the size of the burner stirring at intervals so that it does not get burnt.
3. One can use Garlic in place of Asafoetida powder.
4. Dry fruits, if you like, are always an optional addition.