Oats has become very popular due to the increasing consciousness regarding health. I have already put up Oats-upma, Veg roti/Paratha, Oats-Peanut laddoos and Idli. Here now is yet another Oats dish, one that tastes great and that can be prepared for a change with veggies of one’s choice. I prepared a couple of times and very well received here at home. So maybe this is a chance to get some wider acceptance among my readers and fellow bloggers ! Let me know if you like this one.
What you need to have:
1. Oats – 1 cup
2. Medium poha (Beaten rice) – 1/2 cup
3. Sambar powder – 1 Teaspoon
Poha/Beaten rice and Quaker Oats
1. Chopped Capsicum – 1/3 cup
2. Grated Carrots – 1/4 cup
3. Green peas – A handful
Ingredients of Seasonings:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Chopped Onions – 1/3 cup
4. Cumin seeds – 1/3 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Chopped Green chilly – 2-3
7. Red chilly – 3-4 Pieces
8. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
9. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
10. Salt – To taste
11. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Oats-Poha Upma
Ingredients of Garnishing
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop onions fine, chop green chilly too, wash and chop coriander leaves and keep it aside.
2. Wash Beaten rice and add 1 Teaspoon sambar powder to it, mix well and keep it aside.
Sambar powder mixed with poha
3. Place a skillet on medium/low flame and dry roast Oats till you get a nutty aroma but make sure you do not burn it and keep it aside. Place the same skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. On spluttering, add black gram dal and cumin seeds to it. Add chopped green chilli, curry leaves, red chilli pieces and let them all fry till done. Finally add chopped onions, turmeric powder and required quantity of salt to the dish to it and let it fry till transparent.
4. When done add all the chopped veggie and cook it till done closing it with a lid but mind you without adding water.
Veggies cooking in seasoning
5. When done add beaten rice mixture from step-2 to it and stir in well. If needed sprinkle a little water for it to cook.
With mixed poha added
6. When done, add Oats and stir in well. If needed only splash a little water. ( Splash very little water carefully so that if in excess it will spoil the taste of the dish. If one feels it is not needed , then you may not at all. So take care while doing so.It all depends upon the brand of the Oats.)
Oats being added to the dish
7. Finally add grated fresh coconut, chopped cilantro from step-1 to it and squeeze lemon juice and mix well and switch off the flame.
Ready to serve Oats-Poha Upma
8. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
A closer view of the dish
Good to remember:
1. Use medium variety of poha which we use for Poha upma.
2. I have used Quaker brand oats. In this case I did not even sprinkle water.
3. Veggies should be grated and chopped fine so that they cook fast with poha.
4. One can add any masala powder of their choice. I have added home made sambar powder.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3