Jackfruit/Halasinahannu/Ponosu – we all know it. It is one of the large fruits available during summer and early rainy season for about 3 months of a year. I have already put up Mulika, Jackfruit patholi, spicy dosa and payasam (Ghrayi in konkani), idli. Today I am putting up jackfruit dumplings on Banana leaf. We call it “Panasa muddho” in Konkani. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Bombay sujee(Upma sujee) – 1 cup
2. Jackfruit sheyath – 3 cups
3. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
4. Jaggery- adjust based on the sweetness of the fruit
5. Banana leaves – a few pieces
6. Dry fruits – a handful (optional)
7. Salt – A pinch
Ingredients of Jackfruit Dumplings
What you do with what you have:
1. Chop jackfruit and seperate the seeds of the sheyaths and keep it aside. Grate coconut and chop jaggery as well.
2. Grind jack sheyaths, chopped jaggery, grated coconut and salt in the mixer to a fine consistency without adding water.
Ground mixture of jack, jaggery , salt and coconut
3. Transfer the ground mixture to a bowl and add upma sujee to it and mix well and set it aside for about 15 minutes. Avoid adding water to ensure that it retains the consistency.
Jackfruit Dumplings mix
4. Place a broad based idli cooking bowl on the flame with 1/2 litre water in it and place it on medium flame. (one can even use cooker for the purpose) In the mean time just place the mixture on the banana leaf lengthwise and close the other end of it and place it in the vessel once it starts boiling. Repeat the same process for the remaining dough too. Close it with its lid and steam for about 20 minutes. If you are cooking them in the cooker steam them as you would do with idli.
Banana leaves and the dough being placed on the leaf
Jackfruit dumplings being placed in the bowl to steam
5. When cooked enjoy with home made ghee and honey !
Ready to serve Jackfruit Dumplings with honey & ghee
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of dumplings: 10 of above size
Good to remember:
1. One can prepare the ground mixture and keep it in the fridge and add sujee when you steam the dish next morning or any time.
2. One need not add jaggery if the fruit is sufficiently sweet.
3. Adding dry fruits is one’s choice.