How long it takes : 30 minutes
Number of servings: 10-12 of the above size
Vermicelli / Semiya / Semia is a fantastic ingredient that can be used to make different snacks – sweet and savoury. Given that the marketed brands also offer pre-roasted vermicelli, I prefer to use the branded variety like Bambino or M.T.R., but other local brands are also abundantly available. I have already put up vermicelli biryani, upma, payasam/kheer and cutlet. Today I would like to put up Laddoos to add to the existing list of various laddoos. It is very easy but tasty and different from other laddoos since we feel the aromatic flavour of Vermicelli. Also make for a unique sweet on your Diwali platter. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Vermicelli – 1 Cup ( I have used Bambino vermicelli)
2. Sugar – Little more than 1/2 Cup
3. Pure ghee – 4-6 Teaspoons
4. Grated cashews – A handful
5. Cardamom – 6-8
Ingredients of Vermicelli Laddoos
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with vermicelli in it and warm it up for about 5- 10 minutes on low heat.
Vermicelli being warmed up
2. In the same skillet, warm up sugar on medium flame in such a way that it crystallizes and does not liquify.
Sugar being crystalised
3. Both roasted Vermicelli and sugar is as shown in the image below. Add peeled cardamom to roasted sugar.
Roasted vermicelli and sugar
4. Place a frying pan with a little ghee in it and fry grated cashews till brown and crispy too..
Grated cashews being fried
5. On cooling, powder roasted vermicelli and sugar in the mixer to a fine consistency. Add fried cashews from step-4 and add pure ghee as well.
Vermicelli laddoo mix
6. Mix the laddoo mix well with your hands, bind it to laddoos. If difficult one can even add a little melted ghee to it and bind it into laddoos. The laddoos are tasty and one will not even be able to recognize the semiya / vermicelli in it unless otherwise told ! Yummmmmmmmmmmmm…!!!
Ready to serve Vermicelli laddoos
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of servings:– 10-12 of the above size
Good to remember:
1. If pre-roasted vermicelli is used for the dish it should only be warmed up so that it will retain crispiness.
2. Sugar should be crystalized to help bind the laddoos.
3. Cashews are texture to homogenize with vermicelli texture and make for relishing laddoos.
4. Binding is a bit difficult since vermicelli does not have the dependable stickiness.
5. Use fresh ghee as far as possible.