How long it takes: 45 mins
Number of servings: 2-3
Corn is available in plenty and popular in all forms. I have already put up corn pulav, corn cutlet, and babycorn capsicum masala. Today I would like to put up corn usli which is similar to other usli recipes like the white peas usli, peanut usli. You need very tender corn for this dish and hence I have used American sweet tender corn. It makes for a lovely snack in the evening or can be enjoyed with roti or rice. Let me know how you had it! Here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Sweet corn Kernels – 1 Cup
2.Chopped Capsicum – 1/4 cup
3. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
4. Chilli powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Chaat masala – 1 Teaspoon
8 Chopped Cilantro – A handful
10. Fresh grated coconut – A handful
11. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
12 . Salt – To taste
13. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
What you do with what you have:
1. Peel sweet corn kernels, wash and keep it aside as shown in image-2.
2. Wash and chop capsicum fine, grate coconut, wash and chop cilantro and keep it aside as shown in image-3.
3. Cook corn kernels adding sufficient water in the cooker as usual for about 30 minutes till smooth .
4. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds; when it splutters add chopped capsicum from step-2 and required quantity of salt. Simmer the flame and close the skillet with a lid. Stir at regular intervals – capsicum cooks fast and should take on a slightly transparent appearance.
5. When done, add all the powders one after the other in a row.
6. Just mix and add cooked corn kernels from step-3 to it and also chopped cilantro and fresh grated coconut too to it. Squeeze lemon juice into the stir-fry. Cooked corn kernels, cilantro & grated coconut being added to the dish
7. Ready to serve Corn Usli is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with tea in the evening.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings : 2-3
1. Tender corn kernels would be better for the dish. Even if a bit ripe, they will harden on cooking. Tender ones can be cooked directly on the flame.
2. One can even add chopped onions to the seasoning in place of mustard seeds depending upon one’s palate.