This month has been mostly about oats, bananas, and peanuts and I continue to upload recipes in the same spirit ! Peanuts/groundnuts are indeed a ‘time pass’ snack that can be enjoyed at any given time. We also use it in dry chutney powders, wet chutney, savory mixtures, laddos, chikki, and many more. I have put up peanut laddoos, and peanut-oats laddoo previously. Today I would like to introduce a special variety of laddoo made of flax/Alsi seeds combined with peanuts. They tastes like the sesame laddoos and only differ in colour and appearance. They are not only easy to prepare but very healthy too. With the on-going season of festivals and especially the upcoming Ganesh Chaturthi, this could be a new sweet dish added to your plate ! Hope you enjoy this recipe, here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Peanuts – 1 cup
2. Flax seeds – 1/2 cup
3. Grated Jaggery – 1/2 cup
4. Cardamom – 5-6
5. Pure ghee – 1/2 Teaspoon (optional)
Ingredients of Peanut-Flax seeds Laddoo
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with peanuts on medium flame and dry roast till you get a pleasant aroma and till you can peel off the skin with your hands easily. On cooling, peel the peanuts and keep aside.
2. Grate jaggery and peel cardamom.
Peanuts being dry roasted
3. Wash flax seeds 2-3 times in water, drain and dry roast till it splutters and swells like the sesame seeds. (Once the skillet is hot, simmer the flame when it starts spluttering.)
Roasted & peeled peanuts and roasted flax seeds
4. Powder the above ingredients together with peeled cardamom to a medium fine consistency.
Powdered mixture of peanuts, flax seeds and cardamom
5. Mix grated jaggery from step 2 to the mixture and add 1/2 teaspoon of home made ghee.
Home made ghee being added to the laddoo mix
6. Pick required quantity of the mix and shape it into laddoos. Relish it with evening tea and biscuits. Store it in airtight containers to retain the aroma and the shelf life too.
Ready to serve Peanut-Flax seeds laddoos
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 25 of the above size
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh peanuts for taste and aroma. Dry roast with care so that it is not burnt colourwise and tastewise as well .
2. Roast flax seeds well till it gives off a pleasant aroma and splutters and swells. Please ensure that you do not burn it.
3. Use normal jaggery for the dish.
4. Ghee is optional. Always use fresh ghee while making sweets.