Nellikayi in Kannada is known as Amla in Hindi and Goosberry in English. It is very popular and has multiple uses, especially culinary. We prepare pickles like hindoli which is an instant pickle; we also use the salted amla to prepare avale saru which I have already put up on this blog. People also use the dry amla powder mixed with henna to nourish their hair etc., There are two varieties of nellikayi – the bitter one which we call bettada nellikayi has immense uses and the other being the kiru nellikayi which is available only during summer and when it blooms in our garden, I will put up the pictorial. Today, I would like to put up yet another one-pot-meal to the existing list on this blog – “Nellikayi chithranna” which tastes yummy when consumed with a spicy dish.
What you need to have:
1. Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1/4 cup
2. Grated goosberry – 1/2 cup
3. Fresh green chilly – 3-4
4. Cumin seeds – 2/3 cup
Ingredients of Wet Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Split Blackgram Dal -1 Teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Red chilly – 2
5. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strings
6. Onion chopped – 1 Cup
7. Peanuts – A handful
8. Cashews – A few
9. Cooking oil – 4-5 Teaspoons
10. Salt – To taste
11. Chopped Cilantro – A handful ( For garnishing)
12. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from basmati rice and cook in the cooker in such a way that the grains are separate and keep it aside as shown in image-1.
2. Wash, wipe and grate goosberry, grate coconut and keep it aside as shown in image-2
3. Grind grated goosberry, coconut, green chilly, and cumin seeds in the mixer to a fine consistency without adding water.
Ground Wet Masala
3. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When hot, add mustard seeds and when it starts spluttering add black gram dal to it. When it is fried light brown, add broken red chilly and curry leaves to it. When done, add peanuts, cashews to it and stir for a while.
Seasoning in progress
4. Add chopped onions too and add required quantity of salt to it and fry for a while. Now add ground wet masala from step-2 to it and fry for a while.
Wet masala being fried in seasoning
5. Finally add cooked rice from step-1 to it and mix well.
Rice being added to the seasoning
6. Garnish with fresh grated cilantro. Enjoy with any spicy side dish of your choice or salad.
Ready to serve Nellikayi Chithranna
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
Good to remember:
1. Rice should be cooked right in such a way that the grains are separate which depends upon the quality of rice.
2. Adding onions is another option.
3. Quantity of Goosberry depends upon one’s palate
4. Any side dish which is a little spicy will give an added flavour to the dish.