Banana Blossom Wet Chutney
How long it takes: 15 mins
Number of servings: 5-6
Banana blossom is not very popular, however, we use it in our cuisine since it is healthy with high fibre content. We get around 4-5 Blossoms in a year in our garden and we use it in the preparation of this wet chutney which tastes well and gives a lovely flavour and aroma to the dish. The recipe is very easy and here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Banana Blossom – 1 cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
3. Green chilly – 2-3
4. Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
5. Bilimbi – 2-3
6.Curry leaves(tender) – 3-4 strings
7. Cilantro chopped – A handful
8. Salt – As per taste
Banana bunch with blossom
Banana blossom after chopping the outer covers
Ingredients of banana blossom chutney
What you do with what you have:
1. Take off the outer 3-4 covers of the blossom and chop the inside tender portion of the blossom and soak it in water overnight. Wash, peel and chop onions as well. Grate coconut, and wash and chop cilantro too and keep it aside as shown in image-1.
2. Place a skillet with 1 Teaspoon of cooking oil in it on medium flame and fry chopped blossom adding a little salt till the raw smell disappears and a pleasant aroma is given out. Keep stirrng constantly.
Chopped Banana blossom being fried
3. Grind fried banana blossoms, ginger, onion, bilimbi, grated coconut, cilantro, curry leaves and required quantity of salt in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency.
Ready to serve banana blossom chutney
4. Serve it with idli, chapati and roti too.
Banana blossom chutney with idli
How long it takes: 15 minutes
Number of servings: – 5-6
Good to remember:
1. The reason to chop off the outer cover of the blossom is that the outer portion will be very hard and will be tough to grind too .
2. One can even use red chilly in place of green chilly and tamarind in place of bilimbi.
3. Soaking it in water will reduce the black coloured water which we get even if we soak it overnight.