How long it takes: 45 mins
Number of servings: 5-6
I have already put up Kootu powder and would like to put up Vegetable Kootu using the same powder. It is a great combination with rice and papad, and can be used along with spicy rasam. We cook it using a variety of vegetables with moong dal to make this healthy side dish. The dish being mild even kids can enjoy it with rice. Here it is and give a try too.
What you need to have:
1. Cooked veggies – 3 cups
2. Moong dal (Split Greengram dal – 1/4 cup
3. Green Peas – 1/4 cup
4. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Kootu powder – 2-3 Teaspoons
5. Milk – 1/4 cup (Optional)
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Blackgram dal – 1 Teaspoon
2. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strings
3. Pure ghee – 2 Teaspoons
Fresh chopped veggies
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop all veggies. Normally, we cook cluster beans (gavar), french beans, chayote squash, avrekai, snake gourd on direct flame in a broad based bowl or in the cooker as usual adding little salt. You can mix the veggies or just use one of the above mentioned ones to make the kootu. Take care to ensure that the veggies are not over cooked. I have used green peas as well for extra flavour.
Veggies being cooked directly in a bowl
2. Cook moong dal as well in the cooker separately till soft adding a pinch of turmeric powder and a little oil, so that it cooks faster.
3. Place a skillet with 2 Teaspoons of pure ghee in it on medium flame. When hot, add blackgram dal to it. When fried add curry leaves to it.
Seasoning in progress
4. Add cooked veggies from step-1. Add also cooked moong dal from step-2, add salt and kootu powder measuring 2 and 1/2 – 3 Teaspoons .
Cooked dal, salt, kootu powder and veggies being added to cook
5. Add required quantity of water and a very little milk (if needed) to bring it to the required consistency and check for salt and flavour. If needed, add little more kootu powder for more flavour. Once you add dal and kootu powder simmer the flame and stir every now and then to avoid from getting burnt and turning the dish bitter.
Ready to serve Vegetable Kootu
6. On cooling it will turn thicker and tastier.(If needed one can add a little water or consume as it is.) Enjoy with Rice and Papad. Yummmmmmmm!!!!!
A closer look at the dish on cooling
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
Good to remember:
1. Use fresh and tender veggies for extra taste.
2. Cooking the veggies in the cooker with the dal serves the dual purpose provided veggies don’t get over cooked.
3. Kootu powder should always be coarse to gain taste of the ingredients.
4. Always cook on either medium or low flame so that one can avoid the dish from getting burnt.