Instant Raw Mango Pickle
How long it takes: 30 mins
Servings: 1 bottle of 1/2 kg mangoes
Summer is coming to an end, so also the the pickle season. I would like to put up this recipe for instant mango pickle which can be prepared in a span of 30 minutes and has a shelf life of more than 3 months if stored in the refrigerator. I have already put up a few pickles like the lemon pickle,, Star fruit pickle, chopped raw mango pickle (ambe hindi), bilimbi pickle and the raw jack pickle (adgai). This is an easy recipe for starters as well.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh raw mango chopped – 2 cups
2. Chilli powder – 2 and 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Mustard dal – 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Fenugreek seeds – 10
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Asafoetida soft – Size of a peanut
7. Table salt – 6 Teaspoons
8. Cooking oil – 4 Teaspoons
Fresh Raw Mangoes
Choppped Raw Mango
Ingredients of Pickle Masala Powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and wipe the raw mangoes and on drying chop it into bite size pieces and keep it aside as shown in image-2.
2. Place a spatula with 1 Teaspoon of cooking oil in on medium/low flame and fry asafoetida(soft) in it till crispy and light brown and keep it aside.
Asafoetida being fried in oil
3. In the same spatula again, on heating the oil, fry fenugreek seeds in it till done and keep it with fried asafoetida.
Fenugreek seeds being fried in oil
4. Add a little more oil, and on heating fry mustard dal in it and mix it with the other two ingredients earlier draining extra oil from it.
Mustard dal being fried in oil
5. Heat oil, switch off the flame and add chilli powder to it just stir with the spatula.
Chilli powder being fried
6. Mix all the fried and raw ingredients and powder it to a fine consistency. (Only half the quantity of the ingredients should be fried and half should be added raw while grinding for better taste and aroma.)
Fried masala ingredients
7. Mix the masala powder and the required quantity of salt to the cut raw mangoes and mix with a wooden spatula. Add 2 Teaspoons of raw oil to it and keep it aside for 3-4 hours and later preserve it in the regrigerator..
Powdered masala added to the chopped raw mango
Ready to serve Mango pickle
How long it takes: 30 mins
Servings: 1 Bottle of 1/2 K.G
Good to remember:
1. Always use fresh raw mangoes to avoid it from turning soft.
2. One can even use mustard seeds in place of mustard dal. While using mustard just dry roast and remove the skin so that the colour of pickle is maintained and also it helps in keeping the mango pieces fresh and crisp.
3. One can use cooking oil of your choice. I always use” Saffola gold heart” oil since it is odourless.
4. Keep the pickle at room temperature for about 4-5 hours and later, preserve it in the refrigerator.
5. Check for salt and spicyness before pushing it in the refrigerator. The reason being that the quantity of masala and salt depends upon the tangyness of mango.
6. Do not use water at all. Once you add salt and masala it gets mixed and the pickle would look as shown in the image -10.
7. Only half the quantity of the masala ingredients should be fried in oil and the other should be added raw for better taste and aroma!!!!!