Number of Tikkis: 12-15
Chinese Potato is Kook in Konkani and Sambrani in kannada. This is a seasonal veggie available only for about 3 months of a year. Actually, we are now almost at the end of the season here in Manipal and since I had a handful of them in my pantry and I thought i would put up this up. It is an easy recipe to prepare especially if you can prepare the Tikki dough and store it ready in the refregerator.
What you need to have:
1. Chinese potatoes (Kooka) 1 Cup
2. Green chilly – 1
3. Cilantro chopped – A handful
4. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. curry leaves – 2-3 Strings
10. Cooking oil – 2 Teaspoons
11. Salt – To taste
Ingredients & Seasonings of Kooka Tikki
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, and cook kook in the cooker as usual for about 20 minutes until soft. Cool and peal them and is as shown in image 1.
2.Wash and chop both green chilly and coriander leaves and keep it aside.
3. On cooling just peel chines potatoes and smash it with your hands. Squeeze chopped green chilly and salt together and mix it to the crushed chinese potatoes. Add chopped coriander leaves too from step-2 to it and mix it in such a way that there are no lumps in it.
Chinese potato mix with all ingredients
4. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on low flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters add turmeric powder, Asafoetida powder, Chilli powder, Dhania-Jeera powder and curry leaves one after another. When cooled add this seasoning to the cooked chinese potato mixture from step 3. Squeeze lemon juice as well into it and mix well.
Seasoning being added to the cooked veggie mix
5. Pinch out required quantity of the mix and make round shaped balls and flatten them a little and place it in a bowl.
Chinese potato tikki
6. Place a Dosa skillet with 2-3 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame and when heated, place round tikkies from step-5 on it and fry them till done closing it with a suitable lid.
Chinese Tikki being shallow fried
7. Flip and fry on the other side as well splashing a little oil on it.
Chinese potato tikki being fried
8. Ready to serve Chinese Potato tikki is shown below. Enjoy with Tomato ketup. You’ve got to try those !
Chinese potato Tikki with Tomato Ketup
Good to remember:
1. Chinese potato should be cooked smooth to avoid lumps else tikki will break in between and will be difficult to shallow fry too.
2. One can even use Onions and garlic for extra flavour avoiding Asafoetida and curry leaves.
3. The dough can be pushed in the refregerator and can be prepared when needed.