Poha is beaten rice/povu/avalakki/aval. Varieties of poha is available like the thin, the medium and the thicker variety. I have already put up Konkani poha on this blog before where I have used Sambar powder. In this version though I have used green chillies, fresh dhani and jeera powder which tastes really great providd you have this dish fresh. It is a very easy recipe and also very filling.
What you need to have:
1. Thin Beaten rice – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
3. Green chillies – 2
4. Dhania-Jeera powder (fresh) – 2 Teaspoon
5. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
6. Sugar – 1 Teaspoon
7. Salt – as per taste
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
Ingredients of Konkani Poha
What you do with what you have:
1. Clean poha and keep it aside. Wash and chop green chillies fine and grate coconut as well and keep aside as shown in image 1.
2. In a wide bowl crush well both the chopped green chillies and salt well and to it add grated coconut from step 1. Also add sugar and mix all the ingredients well with your hands so that it is mixed well the whole mixture turns damp.
3. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. Once it splutters add turmeric powder, curry leaves and turn off the flame.
Seasoning in progress
4. Pour this seasoning to the coconut mixture from step 3 to it and mix well with your hands so that it releases juice and a nice aroma of all ingredients.
Seasoning added to the coconut mix
5. Finally add required quantity of poha from step 1 to it. Mix well and is ready to serve.
Ready to serve Poha
6. Decorate it with chopped coriander leaves and chopped onions as well which is my all time favorite. One can even enjoy it with any mixture of your choice. Some people enjoy it with curds but without onions !
Ready to serve poha being garnished with onions & coriander leaves
How long it takes: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 2
Good to remember:
1. Please use quality coconut for this dish or else it becomes damp.
2. Please do not use water to make the coconut mix damp. Squeeze the mix well with your hands to mix poha in it.
3. On adding the seasoning to coconut mix one will be able to to squeeze it well since the oil content will help you to crush it well.
4. Adding sugar is a must since it will enhance the flavour of the dish.
5. One can even use tamarind pulp in place of lemon juice. Using tamarind will change the colour of the dish.