Cilantro in English is Dhania soppu, Kothambri soppu in Kannada and is so popular a green that without it my cooking seems to be incomplete. It is one of the important decorative veggie for any salad, curry/gravy. i would like to put up Cilantro pulav which tastes really colourful and yummy. Here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Basmati Rice – 1 cup
2. Cinnamon – 1″ piece
3. Cloves – 2-3
4. Cardamom -2
5. Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
6. Tomato – 1 big
7. Chopped Potatoes – 1/3 cup
8. Green peas- 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning
Chopped Potatoes & Green peas
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from rice and keep it aside as shown in image-1.
2. Chop tomato, wash, peel and chop onions lengthwise and keep aside as shown in image-2. Wash, peel and chop potatoes and keep aside as shown in image-3.
3.Place a cooker with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil on medium flame. When the oil is hot, add crushed cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves and just fry for a while. Now add chopped tomatoes and fry till little mushy. Then add chopped onions from step-2 and required quantity of salt, and fry till transparent. Also add green peas and chopped potatoes to it and let it fry for a while.
Seasoning of the dish with veggies
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Chopped coriander leaves – 1 cup
2. Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
3. Garlic cloves – 6-8
4. Green chillies – As per taste
5. Kerala Onions – 8-10
6. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
7. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
Ingredients of Wet Masala
4. Grind the ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding a little water to a thick consistency.
5. Add ground wet masala to the fried ingredients in the cooker from step-3 to it and fry for a while on simmering the flame.
Wet masala being added to the seasoning
6. Add Basmati rice from step-1 to it and mix well and add required quantity of water to it. Cook it in the cooker as usual for 20 minutes till done .
Rice and the water being added
7. In a spatula and fry chopped onions till light brown. Garnish the pulav and enjoy!
Ready to serve Cilantro pulav
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings : 4