Dill leaves come from the healthy green vegetables family, but are not as popular as the other greens because of the strong pungent smell. I have already put up dill rice, green rice, dill sweet idlies, spicy idlies and today, I would like to put up dill in toor / tuvar dal which has a great taste. Also, the masalas make this North Karnataka dish an intoxicating combo with rice or roti.
What you need to have:
1. Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
2. Chopped Dill greens – 1 and 1/2 cup
3. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
4. Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
5. Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup (optional)
6. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Chopped Green chilli – 2-3
10. Garlic pods – 6-8
11. Chopped coriander leaves – 2 Tablespoons
12. Salt – as per taste
13. Cooking oil – 2 Tablespoons
Toor dal & chopped dill leaves
Ingredients of seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and finely chop the dill leaves, peeled onions fine, green chillies, peeled garlic, and washed cilantro. Also chop tomatoes(optional) and keep these aside separately as shown above in image-1 and 2.
2. Cook toor dal in the cooker as usual till smooth and is as shown in the image below.
Cooked toor dal
3. Place a skillet with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil on medium flame. When heated, add mustard seeds to it. Let the seeds splutter, then add chopped green chillies and garlic and fry for a while.
Frying the seasoning
4. When done, add chopped tomatoes. When it gets mushed up, add chopped onions and required quantity of salt to it and fry till done. Now add chilli powder, dhania-jeera powder and turmeric powder and just give a stir.
Seasoning being fried
5. Add chopped dill from step-1 and cook on simmering the flame till done
Chopped dill being cooked
6. Add cooked dal from step-2 and mix well.
Cooked dal being added to the seasoning
7. Add required quantity of water to it and bring to a boil. Check for salt. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice and also with roti/chapati.
Ready to serve Dill Dal
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5