Coconut-atta burfi with jaggery
Fresh coconut is used in most of our curries and also to decorate some of the salads and few side dishes as well. I have earlier uploaded the recipe coconut burfi with sugar, and today I would like to put up coconut burfi with jaggery in combination with wheat atta. This is an age old recipe, yet easy and tasty. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Wheat atta – 1/2 cup
3. Grated jaggery – 1 and 1/2 cup
4. Pure ghee – 4-5 Teaspoons
5. Cardamom 5-6
6. Cashews and Raisins – A handful
Ingredients of coconut burfi
What you do with what you have:
1. Grate coconut, chop jaggery as well and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 4 teaspoons of pure ghee on low- medium flame. When the oil is hot, add wheat atta and stir in continuously till you get a pleasant aroma. Be careful while roasting and make sure it does not get burnt.
Wheat atta being fried in pure ghee
3. On cooling, transfer it to a plate/bowl.
Fried wheat atta
4. Grind both grated coconut with chopped jaggery in the mixer to a smooth consistency. Do not add water!
Ground mixture of coconut and jaggery
4. Place a skillet with 2 teaspoons of pure ghee on medium flame and add this coconut-jaggery mixture from step-3 to it. Stir in till it thickens.
Coconut-jaggery mix being heated
5. When this mixture starts to leave the sides of the skillet, add cardamom powder and fried wheat atta from step-3. Mix well. Spread it on a wooden plank and cut it immediately.
The mix, as it thickens
Mix being spread on a wooden plank
6. Decorate it with either cashews or raisins.
Burfi being decorated with raisins
Burfi being decorated with cashews
How long it takes – 45 minutes
Number of servings – 25-30 of the above size