Crispy sabudana mixture
Sabudana/Sago is a popular dish during fasts. We prepare “Sabudana kichadi” for Sankashti. I have put up recipes for sabudana chakli, sabudana idli, previously on this blog. This recipe is a very popular mixture which tastes great and is a real time pass snack. It is very easy to prepare too – really a ‘fast food’!
What you need to have:
1. Sabudana – 1 cup
2. Cashews – 1/3 cup
3. Peanuts – 1/3 cup
4. Oil to fry – 2 cups
Ingredients of Sabudana mixture
Ingredients of Masala for the dish:
1. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon (Less spicy)
2. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
3. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Garam-Masala powder – 1/2 Teaspoon (If strong)
5. Black salt powder – As per taste
6. Powder sugar – 1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)
7. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
Ingredients of the Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with 2 cups of cooking oil on medium flame. On heating, place a porous spatula (with holes in it) and fry peanuts till crispy.
Peanuts fried in oil
2. In the same oil, fry cashews in the spatula, till light brown.
Cashews being fried in oil
3. Fry Sabudana in oil till it puffs up.
Sabudana being fried
4. Pour all fried ingredients in a colander to filter out the extra oil. You can collect the oil in a bowl and use it to fry curry leaves.
Fried ingredients in a colander
5. Transfer the mixture to a skillet, and add chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, black salt powder, and garam masala powder.
Spices added to the fried ingredients
6. Stir well. Sabudana mixture is ready to be served. Enjoy it with either Upma or even with tea as a snack.
Ready to serve Sabudana Mixture
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
Good to remember:
1.Use quality sabudana, else one portion will turn crispy and remaining will not puff up and will get stick in between the teeth.
2. Chilli powder, garam masala powder, as per taste. Sugar is always an option.