Beetroot is uniquely colourful among all vegetables. It releases wonderful colour to the dish if added in reasonable quantity. We prepare a variety of dishes like curry and salad (with onions, tomato and carrot). For the salad, we steam it in the cooker and on cooling we chop it fine and add onions, tomato etc., sometimes with curd too. Today I would like to put up the recipe for beetroot rice, which is a little different compared to the usual rice dishes. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Grated beetroot – 1 cup
2. Chopped capsicum – 1/2 cup
3. Fresh green peas – 1/2 cup
4. Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
5. Raisins – A handful
6. Basmati rice – 1 and 1/2 cups
Ingredients of Beetroot Rice
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
2. Tomato – 1 Medium
3. Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
4. Onion – 1 Small
5. Coriander seeds – 1 Teaspoon
6. Shah Jeera – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Poppy seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Red chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Cloves – 1-2
11. Cinnamon – 1/2″ piece
Ingredients of wet masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash , peel and grate beetroot , chop capsicum; also wash, peel and chop onions lengthwise and keep it aside separately as shown in image-2.
2. Wash and drain water from Basumati rice and spread it on a plate.
3. Place a skillet with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame . On heating, add cloves, cinnamon, shahjeera and poppy seeds. When done, add ginger and garlic and when fried add chopped tomatoes , fry till mushed consistency. When done, add chopped onions and fry for a while till transparent and add a little salt during this time. Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder and just stir in and add grated coconut and fry for a while and switch off the flame. On cooling, grind it to a thick paste adding very little water in the mixer.
Wet masala items being fried
4. Place a cooker with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add raisins to it. When about to fry, add chopped capsicum to it and fry for a while. When half done, add chopped onions and fry for a while. Add salt according to taste (little salt is added to the wet masala while frying the same.)
Seasoning in progress
5. Add grated beetroot from step-1 to it and fry for a while and then also add green peas to it. Finally, add wet masala from step-3 to it and just fry for a while in it.
Wet masala being added to the seasoning
6. Finally add basmati rice from step-2 to it and fry for a while. Add required quantity of water to it and cook for 20-25 minutes till done.
Basmati rice being added to fried wet masala
7. When done enjoy either plain or with any salad of your choice!
Ready to serve Beetroot Rice
How long it takes – 1 hour
Number of servings – 5-6