Long Beans/Alasando/Alasande, thats in English/Konkani and Kannada respectively. This is the popular and the favorite veggie among South canara people. People grow it in plenty in their own kitchen garden. Of course nowadays due to the busy schedules there are kitchen gardens around. Ideally, we need very tender beans to prepare curry. It is a simple side dish and a good combo with rice and the simple (dali saru) rasam or even with Chapati. And yes, it is an easy dish for starters.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh chopped Long Beans – 2 cups
2. Chopped potatoes – 1/3 cup
Fresh Long Beans
Chopped Potatoes & Long Beans
Ingreients of Seasoning & Garnishing:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspon
5. Salt – To taste
6. Green chillies – 2-3
7. Cooking oil – 2-3 Teaspoons
8. Fresh grated Coconut – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Seasoning & Garnishing
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, remove the tip and the bottom of Long Beans and chop fine, also wash, peal and chop potatoes fine and keep it side as shown in image-2.
2. Place a skillet with 2-3 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated, add mustard seeeds to it. When it starts spluttering add Blackgram dal to it. When it is fried add asaafoetida powder & turmeric powder to it and stir for a while. When done add Split green chillies to it.
Seasoning in progress
3. Now add chopped Long Beans and potatoes from step 1 to it. Add required quantity of salt to it. Also add a pinch of sugar to it which is totally optional, close the lid and let it cook till done stiring occasionally.
Chopped veggies being added to the seasoning
4. Add fresh grated coconut to it on being done. Transfer it to a serving bowl and is ready to serve.
Ready to serve Long Beans curry
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4