As there is a saying that konkani people make use of each and every thing and do not waste. Here is a good example for it where we use the seeds of the jack fruit as well. We cook, roast it on the fire wood which tastes heavenly. I used to have this regularly in my childhood days and now-a-days people hardly know about it. We cook these seeds with Moong gravy and chick peas gravy etc. But the stir fry also tastes great. Here it is.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Jack seeds – 2 cups
2. Chopped potatoes – 1/3 cup
3. Chopped onions – 1 cup
Ingredients of Jack seeds stir fry
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Dhania-jeera powder – 2 Teaspoon
5. Chopped Tomato – 1 (medium)
6. Green chilly – 1-2
7. Salt – To taste
8. Fresh grated coconut – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal and chop Jack seeds lengthwise. Also wash and peel onions, potatoes and also cut both of them lengthwise and keep it aside separately as shown in the image-2.
2. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating, add mustard seeds to it. When it splutters add slit green chillies to it. Add chopped tomatoes to it and fry it till it turns mushy. Now add chopped onions from step 1 to it and add required quantity of salt to it and fry it till it turns transparent.
Chopped onions being fried in seasoning
3. When done add chilli powder, turmeric powder and Dhania-jeera powder one after the other in a row and stir well. Finally add chopped potatoes and chopped jack seeds together. Close it with a lid sprinkling very little water on a low flame stiring ocassionaly. Make sure you do not burn the dish.
Dish being cooked
4. Finally when cooked add fresh grated coconut and is ready to serve. Yummy !!!! Serve hot with rice and dal.
Ready to serve Jack seeds stir fry
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
Good to remember:
1. When we use the jackfruit during summer , we keep these seeds around to use during the rainy season when it is cold and this spicy curry comes in handy with rice and dal.
2. The seeds should be of a quality jackfruit and should be properly dried before you store it for the rest of the season.