Vegetable stew is nothing but fresh green tender vegetables like french beans, chayote squash, butter fruit, Ridge gourd, potato, long beans, carrot, tindura etc., being cooked in light coconut milk and then normal coconut milk being added to the dish and is to be seasoned with pure ghee and cumin seeds which gives heavenly flavour to the dish. It is one of the most noble dishes called “Valval” in konkani which even kids can enjoy !!!! It is also called “Yogiratna” by people of some regions. This is also one of the dishes for janmashtami dinner at night. This is one of the dishes for most of our functions including weddings. You too give a try for the same.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh vegetables – 4 cups
2. Coconut milk – 2 cups
3. Green chilly – 1-2(not spicy)
4. Cashews (Bibbo) – A handful
4. Salt – To taste
Fresh Green Vegetables
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop all available green vegetables, few cashews in the cooker adding light coconut milk adding little salt, slit green chillies so that it is not over done.
Veggies cooked in light coconut milk
2. Crush 2 cups of fresh grated coconut with a few cashews in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency and if necessary add a little more water and strain the same in a strainer/a clean muslin cloth and extract the milk and is as shown in the image below.
Fresh cocounut milk (thick)
3. Grind the same residue of the above juice in the mixer adding water in steps to extract a lighter juice again and in that juice cook all the veggies. (The image-2 is veggies cooked in light coconut milk)
4. Transfer cooked veggies to a broad based bowl and add thick coconut milk from step 2 to it and bring it to boil on low flame only adding required quantity of salt to it (Already little salt in the veggies while cooking.)
Coconut milk being aded to the cooked veggies
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Pure ghee – 2 teaspoons
5. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of pure ghee in it on medium flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it. When it splutters just switch off the flame. Season it to the dish.
Seasoning in progress
6.Ready to serve Valval is as shown in the image below. Yummmmmmmmmm enjoy !!!!!
Ready to serve Valval
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
Good to know:
1. Veggies of one’s choice mentioned in the list could be used. Tindura, long beans and pumpkin was not available when I prepared the dish. So I have used other veggies.
2. Always allow the cooked veggies to cool a bit and then add thick coconut milk to it and bring it to boil on low flame. The reason being it may curdle and loose the taste of the dish. Add slit green chilly while coking only since atleast a little flavour of the chilly will be released in it and will taste hevenly.
3. Use fresh pure ghee for seasoning.