Palak needs no introduction. I have put up Dal Palak, Palak moongdal maasala and Palak rice etc. and all of them were very well received, mostly Dal-Palak. Today I thought of putting up this wonderful soup which I tried out a couple of times at home that turned out rather well.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh chopped Palak greens – 2 cups
2. Milk – 1 and 1/4 cup (I have used good life)
3. Cloves – 2
4. Black pepper – 6-8
5. Green chilly – 1/2 (Optional)
6. Maida – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Buter – 1- 2 Teaspoons
8. Onion – 1 small ( I used 2 Spring onions & 3 Kerala pearl onions for seasoning)
9. Spring onions greens – A handful (optional)
10. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Palak soup
Other ingredients of Palak soup
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop palak fine and keep it aside. Wash, peel and chop spring onion and kerala pearl onion as well as shown in the image 1 and image 2.
2. Cook chopped palak and half green chilli in the cooker as usual till done.
Chopped palak greens cooked in cooker
3. Transfer cooked palak to a serving bowl on cooling and add chopped spring onion greens to it.
Cooked palak and raw spring onion greens
4. Fry maida with 1 teaspoon butter on a low flame till you get a pleasant aroma stiring without a break so that it does not get burnt.
Maida being fried with butter
5. Grind cooked palak-spring onion with the fried maida on cooling in the mixer to a fine consistency.
Ground palak spring onion green and fried maida mix
6. Place a broad based bowl with 3 cups and 1 and 1/4 cup of good life milk in it on medium flame. Add powdered pepper and cloves to it and bring it to boil for 10 minutes and strain it.
Milk and water being boiled with pepper and cloves powder
6. Strain it through a muslin cloth and add ground palak, spring onion mix from step 5 to it and bring it to boil again on low flame only. On boiling check for thickness and salt and add water if necessary !!!.
Ground palak mix being added to milk
7. Place a spatula with a little butter in it on low flame and on melting add chopped spring onions and kerala pearl onions to it. Fry it till light brown stiring continuously.
Chopped onion being fried
8. Season it to the soup from step 6 to it. Enjoy hot only. Really yummyyyyyy !
Ready to serve Palak soup
9. Transfer it to a sering soup owl and enjoy with normal butter!!!!
Ready to serve Palak-soup
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6
Good to know:
1. Palak being cooked with green chilli which is an option.
2. Using raw spring onion greens while grinding ooked palak is for extra flavour.
3. Chopped kerala onions are used in the seasoning is also for extra aroma. One can even use the normal onions.
4. Maida is used in little quantity for thickening.