I have already put up a variety of one pot meals on this blog and today I would like to add one more to that list. This coconut rice is the delicacy of Tamilnadu and is very simple in preparation. It is not all that spicy and can be served to the kids as well. It will surely serve as a lunch box. Personally I also feel this is really a safe and wholesome dish as it has no strong masalas. Here it goes.
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 Cup
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
2. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
3. Blackgram Dal – 1 teaspoon
4. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Asafoetida powder – 1 teaspoon
6. Green chilly – 3-4
7. Red chilly – 1
8. Peanuts – A handful
9. Cashews – A handful
10. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
11. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop green chilly, grate coconut , also wash curry leaf strands and keep it aside as shown in image 2.
2. Wash and cook Basumati rice in the cooker adding require quantity of water as usual for 20 minutes so that each grain is seperate. On the pressure being released add a few drops of oil to it, mix it with a spatula and keep it aside.
Cooked Basumati Rice
3. Place a skillet with 4 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating, add mustard seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add cumin seeds and black gram dal to it. When it is fried add chopped green chillies, red chilly pieces and curry leaves to it. When fried add peanuts, cashews in a row. Now the seasoning is ready.
Seasoning of the dish in progress
4. Now add fresh grated coconut from step 1 to it, required quantity of salt and fry for a while.
Coconut being added to the seasoning
4. On being fried the mix would be as shown in the image below.
Coconut Rice mix
5. Finally add cooked Basumati rice from step 3 to it and stir well. Ready to serve coconut rice is as shown in the image below. Enjoy hot. Very yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
Ready to serve Coconut rice
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of servings: 3-4