I have already put up parval curry which was well-received and today I would like to put up shallow fried parval which tastes crispy awesome. This is very similar to earlier shallow fried dishes ( kantolas and raw banana, pathrade and ridge gourd ) I put up several months ago. A great side-dish on these cold rainy days but you don’t have to wait until it rains to make these !
What you need to have:
1. Fresh Point gourd – 4-5
Fresh point gourd
Ingredients of dry Masala powder:
1.Rice atta – 4 Teaspoons
2. Chick peas Atta – 1 Teaspoon
3. Chiroti sujee – 1 Teaspoon
4. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Dry Masala powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Just wash point gourd, chop the tip and bottom of the same and slice them thin, remove the hard seeds if any with the tip of the knife and keep it aside applying a little salt to them.
Salt being applied to parval slices
2. After a while just mix all the ingredients of dry masala powder shown in image 2 and dust each of the slices in the above mixture and keep it aside for about 15 minutes so that masala powder settles on the slices as shown below.
Dry Masala powder applied to the parval slices
3. Place a griddle on medium flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated, place the masala applied parval slices on it, spalsh a little oil on the top and the sides of the griddle and close it with a lid and let it fry for about 5 minutes. Once fried just reverse it and let it fry on the other side as well.
Masala slices of parval being fried
4. When fried on both the sides it would be as shown in the image below. Enjoy hot with rice and Dal. Really very Yummmmmmy !!
Ready to serve Shallow fried Parval
Good to remember:
1. Do not fry it on high flame. If burnt it will turn bitter.
2. Some Parval though tender contain hard seeds. Remove them slowly in such a way that you do not remove the pulpy portion of the veggie.
3. Splash cooking oil generously since it is not deep frying and to avoid being burnt.
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of serves: 3-4