Kuvale is Ashgourd/Kumbalkayi . I have already put up Kuvali Puli (Kuvale Puli), Majjige huli and the “Kuvale khadi” before and now here comes “Kuvale sasam”. A dish with a calming/cooling impact on the stomach and very much recommended for those into healthy foods. Its available throughout the year and so we make it a habit of preparing something of this vegetable at least once a week.
What you need to have:
1. Ash gourd pieces – 4 cups
Fresh Ash gourd
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
2. Red chilly – 3-4
3. Mustard seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Tamarind – A little
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop Ash gourd into 3″ pieces and cook it in the cooker adding a little salt and turmeric powder so that it is not over cooked.
2. Place a spatula with 1 Teaspoon of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated, switch off the flame and fry red chilly in it.
Cooked Ash gourd pieces
3. Grid the ingredients of Wet Masala in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency.
4. Transfer cooked Ash gourd from step 1 to a bowl and add ground wet masala from step 3 to it and bring it to boil. Check for salt and if required to the dish.
5. Place a spatula with 2 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When they sputter add curry leaves to it and season the above dish. Ready to serve “Kuvale sasam is as shown in the image below. Enjoy with rice/lunch side dish.
Ready to serve “Kuvale Sasam”
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4