Almonds are among the healthy dry fruits. People consume this normally in the morning after having soaked them overnight. It reduces the cholestrol level in the blood as well. We also use it in the gravy of almost all the north indian dishes which really gives a awesome taste to the dish. I have already put up Almond burfi and today I would like to put up Almond kheer which can either be served warm or chilled. See other such recipes here.
What you need to have:
1. Almonds 25- 30
2. Cashews -4-6
3. Cardamom – 2-3
4. Milk – 5 cups
5. Saffron – A few strings
6. Sugar – As per taste
Ingredients of Almond Kheer
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak almonds in water for about an hour so that one is able to peal it. Grind the pealed almonds with cashews and milk in the grinder to fine consistency.
2. Soak half the quantity of saffron strings in warm milk so that it releases the aroma and the colour in it.
3. Place a thick bottomed skillet with milk in it on medium flame and bring it to boil.
Milk being boiled on the flame
4. Add ground Almond-cashew mix from step 1 to it and keep stiring continously. Now add sugar and cardamom powder. When it starts thickening, add saffron mixed milk to it which gives a wonderful colour and aroma.
Almond kheer being cooked
5. Transfer it a serving bowl and serve either chill or warm.
Ready to serve Almond Kheer
How long it takes: 30 minutes(other than soaking of Almonds)
Number of servings: 3-4