Brinjal/Eggplant/Badnekai/Vayangana/Goola. I have already put up Gulla bajji, Vangi Bhaath and Brinjal masala before and now comes one of the most popular (among the konkani people at least) of Brinjal dishes – Gulla Sagle/Bharwa Baingan. Some people prefer to add onions to the masala as well as seasoning, whereas some never use onion at all. I prefer to use onion since it gives a wonderful taste for the dish. Both in the seasoning and in the filling, the taste could be unique.
What you need to have:
1. Small Brinjal – 15
2. Chopped onion – 1/4 cup
Fresh Small Brinjals
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut – 3/4 cup
2. Red chillies – 4-5
3. Bilimbi – 2-3
4. Coriander seeds – 2 Teaspoons
5. Fenugreek seeds – 1/6 th Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Chopped onion – 1/3 cup
8. Salt – To taste
8. Cooking oil to fry the masala and for seasoning – 2 Tablespoons
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and just mark horizontal on one side of Brinjal and vertical on the other side of each Brinjal and keep it aside. Wash, peal and chop onions as well fine.
2. Place a spatula on medium flame with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated just fry red chillies in it and keep it aside. In the same oil adding a little more oil add fenugreek seeds and when about to be fried add coriander seeds to it and when fried switch off the flame and add turmeric powder to it and stir well.
3. Grind fresh grated coconut, fried Red chillies, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds-turmeric powder mix, Bilimbi, salt in the mixer adding water in steps to a medium fine consistency. Add chopped onions from step 1 to the masala.
Chopped onion mixed to the ground wet masala
4. Mix masala with the chopped onions well and fill the same in Brinjals from step 1 to it and is as shon in the image below.
Ground wet masala filled in Brinjals
5. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add chopped onions to it and also a little salt to it , so that it does not get burnt and fry it till it turns transparent.
Chopped Onions being fried in the seasoning
6. Place the masala filled Brinjals in it and cook it till soft. Add very little water to it and let it cook on low flame. Close it with a lid.
Masala filled Brinjals being cooked
7. Just open the lid to see if cooked. It will be done in 15 minutes since they are very tender. Enjoy with chapati or even with dal and rice. Yummmmmm !
Brinjal masala with Chapati
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5