Rajma lentils (also “Kidney Beans” due to their shape) is a very popular north indian ingredient. This dish is a good combo with roti/chapati/naan etc. Actually this recipe was long over due on this blog and I thought I should atleast put it up now .. Better late than never ! Some people prepare the wet masala using cashews but I have used almonds instead. Its best served with a thick gravy.
What you need to have:
1. Rajma – 1 cup
Dry Rajma Beans
Ingredients of wet masala:
1. Chopped onions – 2 cups
2. Chopped Tomatoes – 1/4 cup
3. Soaked Almonds – 15-20
4. Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 Teaspoon
5. Chilli powder – 2 Teaspoons
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Tespoon
7. Garam-Masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Chopped coriander leaves – 2 Tablespoons(optional)
10. Cooking oil – 2 Tablespoons
11. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak Rajma Beans in water over night and cook it in the cooker adding 1 teaspoon cooking oil for about 30 minutes till smooth. Cooked Rajma Beans is as shown in the image below.
Cooked Rajma Beans
1. Peel and chop onions fine, wash and chop tomatoes fine, also make ginger-garlic paste as well and keep it aside as shown in image 2. Soak Almond in water for about an hour peal it and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating, add Chopped tomatoes from step 1 to it fry it till mushy. Add chopped onions as well and add required quantity of salt to it.
Chopped onions being fried in the seasoning
3. When onions turn transparent add Ginger-Garlic paste & grated almonds to it and fry for a while.
Ginger-Garlic paste &Grated Almonds being fried
4. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, Dhania-jeera powder and Garam masala powder in a row to it and just stir along.
Powders being fried in seasoning
Fried masala on cooling
5. Allow the above fried ingredients to cool and grind it in the grinder adding a little water to a fine paste.
6. Transfer the ground wet masala to a broad bowl and bring it to boil.
Ground wet masala being cooked
7. Add cooked Rajma from step-1 to it and bring it to boil. Serve hot with chapati or roti.
Ready to serve Rajma masala
How long it takes: 45 minutes (other than soaking of the Beans)
Number of servings: 4