Bottle gourd as all of you know has a lot of medicinal qualities and is widely used for Jaundice patients’ diet. We prepare curry, kheer ( without milk ) and also gravy from this vegetable, some of which I have put up before, namely – Muthia, Peel Chutney and Bottle gourd peel curry on this blog. Today I am putting up the Bottle gourd Kheer. One needs very tender Bottle gourd to prepare this kheer. People prepare it in their own way and this is my version of the same.
What you need to have:
1. Grated Bottle gourd – 2 cups
2. Jaggery – As per taste
3. Cardamom powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Resins – A handful (any other dry fruits of your choice)
5. Grated cashews – A handful
6. Maida – 1 Teaspoon
7. Thick milk – 2 cups or more
Fresh Tender Bottle gourd
Grated Bottle gourd
Ingredients of Bottle gourd Kheer
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peel and grate the tender Bottle gourd and is as shown in image 2.
2. Cook the grated gourd in the cooker with its juice till smooth for about 10-15 minutes.
Cooked grated Bottle gourd
3. Transfer the cooked gourd to a wide pan, add required quantity of jaggery to it and cook it till all the juice and jaggery is absorbed and it turns thick.
Jaggery being added to cooked Bottle gourd
4. Dissolve maida without lumps in normal water and stir it into the gourd-jaggery mix and cook till it is mixed well and solidified.
Maida liquid being added to the cooked gourd-jaggery mix
5. Store the solidified mix in the refrigerator and serve chilled or warm whenever needed adding milk, cardamom powder and dry fruits of your choice.
Ready to serve Bottle Gourd kheer
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5