Alu is a popular veggie and loved by one and all. Its a bit unhealthy maybe, but indispensable nevertheless. We prepare Alu tikkies, Alu-onion bhaji, Alu parota and frankly, uncountably large number of items with Alu being among the must-have ingredients. Today I would like to put up a dish which is a side dish for lunch as well as for roti and chapati. It is a simple dish with few and commonly used ingredients. Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Cooked & chopped potatoes – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Choppes Tomato – 1/3 cup
3. Cashews – A few
4. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
5. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
6. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Potato spicy dish
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peel and cook potatoes in the cooker till smooth. On cooling cut it into bite size pieces as shown in image 1. Wash and chop tomatoes, coriander leaves fine and keep it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it. When it starts sputtering add mustard seeds to it. Add cashews and fry till it turns light brown in colour.
Seasoning in progress
3. Add chopped tomatoes and required quantity of salt to it and stir till it turns mushy. Add all the powders in a row.
Tomatoes being cooked in seasoning
4. When done add cooked potatoes from step 1 to it and also required quantity of water and bring it to boil.
Batate Vagu being cooked
5. Transfer the dish to a serving bowl, check for salt and add chopped coriander leaves.
Ready to serve Batate vagu
6. Enjoy with chapati.
Ready to serve Batate-vagu with chapati and a salad
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of servings: 2-3