I have already put up a few recipes of this noble gourd. I have recently put up Muthia and also Bottle gourd curry. Today I would like to put up its peal chutney which is very easy to prepare and tasty as well. One needs very tender peal of the gourd. It is a good combination for idly, dosa and also side dish for lunch/dinner. (By the way this is not the first time I am putting up a chutney made from the peel of a vegetable. Look for Green gourd peel chutney here) Here it is:
What you need to have:
1. Bottle gourd peal – 3/4 cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
3. Blackgram dal – 1 Tablespoon
4. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Asafoetida (soft) – Size of a peanut
6. Tamarind – A little
7. Curry leaves – 2 strings
8. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Bottle gourd peal chutney
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and peal the Bottle gourd and keep it aside. Chop the peals and Grate coconut as well as shown in image-1.
2. Place a skillet with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating, add Blackgram dal to it. When it is half done add cumin seeds and soft asafoetida to it and fry till done.
Chutney ingredients being fried in oil
3. When done add chopped peals, required quantity of salt to the dish and close it with a lid for a while till peal turns soft. Check and if not done sprinkle a little water and close it with a lid. When done add curry leaves and green chilli to it and stir well.
Peal and other ingredients being cooked
4. Finally just add grated coconut and tamarind to it and stir well switching of the flame. The chutney mix would look as below.
Bottle gourd peal chutney mix
5. On cooling, grind the above mix in the mixer adding water in steps to a coarse consistency. Enjoy with idli, dosa etc..,
Ready to serve Bottle gourd peal chutney
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of servings: 3-4