Pickles is one of the favorite dishes among Indians. However, due the excess salt content (a preservative), it is not regarded as a healthy option as a side dish and is only recommended in lower quantities. This by the way is the first pickle on this blog. And the lemons, well, are from our own tree in my kitchen garden.
What you need to have:
1. Round ripe Lemons chopped – 2 cups
2. Table salt – 1/4 cup
3. Chilli powder(Byadgi) – 7 Teaspoons
4. Mustard Dal – 3 and 1/2 Teaspoons
5. Fenugreek seeds – 1/3 Teaspoons
6. Asafoetida (soft) – Size of a peanut
7. Sugar – 2 Teaspoons
8. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Safola oil – 6-8 Teaspoons
Lemon Tree with Round Lemons
Salt being applied to chopped Lemon
Ingredients of Pickle masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Dry roast Table salt in a skillet till it moves free with the spatula and allow it to cool.
2. Wash and wipe Lemons with a clean cloth and chop them into pieces as shown in the image 2. Apply salt from step 1 to it and also 2 teaspoons of sugar and keep it aside for 24 hours.
3. Place a spatula with a teaspoon of cooking oil in it and when heated fry soft asafoetida in it and when half done add fenugreek seeds as well in it and fry together till done as shown in the image below. Remove the same from it and keep it aside.
Asafoetida and fenugreek seeds being fried in oil
4.In the same spatula add little more oil heat it and switching off the flame add mustard dal and let it just warm up upon stiring it in hot oil. Keep it aside.
Mustard dal being warmed up
Fried mixture of fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and mustard dal
5. Add some more oil in the spatula and warm up chilli powder, turmeric powder in it.
Chilli powder being warmed up
6. On cooling run all fried ingredients in the dry mixer to a fine consistency. On cooling mix it to the salted lemons.Squeeze one lemon juice to it. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on the medium flame. Add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters also add a pinch of asfoetida to it. On cooling add it to the masla mixed lemon pieces. This masala mixed pickle will be ready for consumption only after 3-4 months.
Pickle masala powder being mixed to the chopped lemon
7. Bottled pickle is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Lemon pickle
How long it takes (Masala): 30 minutes
Note: 1.Wash and wipe lemons and make sure that it is absolutely dry else pickle will spoil in no time.
2. Always add masala powder to salted lemons on cooling.
3. Store it in dry bottle with air tight lids. Sugar is added for extra flavour.