Bell pepper and alu both need no introduction. This is a very simple dish good for starters as well. I have already put up Alu-Capsicum Masala which is among the most poplar posts on this blog. Alu and Bell pepper is also a very good combination. In this dish I have used Bengal gram dal as an additional ingredient to give a further boost to the dish. Here goes:
What you need to have:
1. Bell pepper (green) – 2 cups
2. Potatoes chopped – 1/4 cup
3. Bengalgram Dal – A handful
4. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Bell-pepper Alu stir fry
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 1/2 cup
2. Chopped tomatoes – 1/3 cup
3. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Garam Masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Dhania-Jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop Bell pepper lengthwise, wash, peal and chop alu as well lengthwise as shown in image above.
2. Soak Bengalgram dal in water for about an hour and grind it in the mixer to a coarse consistency. Wash, peal and chop onions and tomato and keep aside.
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame and when heated add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add chopped tomatoes from step 2. When it turns mushy add chopped onions and also required quantity of salt to it so that it does not get burnt. When done add chopped potatoes as well, lowering the flame and all the powders one after the other in a row and mix well. Close it with a lid for a few minutes till potatoes turn a little soft.
Seasoning in progress
4. Add ground Bengalgram dal from step 1 to it and lower the flame till it is cooked.
Ground Bengalgram dal being cooked in seasoning
5. When ground dal is cooked add chopped Bell-pepper from step 1 to it and let it cook till done on low flame. When done decorate it with chopped coriander leaves.
Ready to serve Bell pepper-Alu stir fry
6. Enjoy hot with either roti or chapati.
Bell pepper-Alu stir fry with chapati
How long it takes: 30 minutes (other than soaking of dal)
Number of servings: 2