Whenever I think of this dish my mouth starts watering. Veg Pulav though a common dish at home and at functions, there seem to be so many variations of it. And many of them are equally good. Here is my version, give it a shot and leave your feedback. Leave a note if you have significant variations as well. Here meanwhile is a link to other one-pot meals/rice items.
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. Chopped carrots – 1/4 cup
3. Chopped French Beans – 1/3 cup
4. Green peas – 1/2 cup
5. Chopped florets – 1/2 cup
Washed and drained Basumati rice
Chopped variety of veggies
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Chopped onions – 1 and 1/2 cups
2. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Garam masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
5.Cashew – A handful
6. Resins – A handful
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and drain water from basumati rice and keep it aside as shown in image 1.
2. Wash and chop all the veggies and keep it aside seperately as shown in image 2. Also wash, peal and chop onions lengthwise and keep it aside as shown in image 3.
3. Place a cooker with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil/ghee on medium flame. When heated add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add cashews and resins to it. When fried add chopped onions from step 2 to it and also add salt to it so that onions do not get burnt. When done add turmeric powder, garam masala powder to it and stir well.
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Onion(medium) – 1
2. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
3. Garlic pods – 5-6
4. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
5. Tomato(medium) -1
6. Green chillies – As per taste( i have used 4-5)
7. Ginger – 1/2 ” piece
8. Poppy seeds – 1 /2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
4. Grind the above ingredients of wet masala in the mixer adding required quantity of water in steps to a fine consistency. The ground masala is as shown in the image below. All ingredients of the masala should be ground raw only.
Ground Wet Masala
5. Now add Basumati rice from step 1 to the seasoning in the cooker in step 4 and just stir for a while. Add also the chopped vegies from step 2 to it and also mix well.
6. Finally add ground wet masala from step 5 to it and mix till it is mixed well on a medium-low flame. Add required quantity of water and check for salt and close the lid of the cooker with the weight placed. When done enjoy warm with the salad of your choice.
Ready to serve Veg-pulav with salad
Number of servings: 5-6
How long it takes: 1 hour