Garlic/Belluli/Losun is healthy and as we know just a little bit of it makes quite a difference to a dish. Its strong odor means that its either loved or hated. But that it has medicinal properties is not a point of dispute. Garlic rice is tasty but not a very common dish out there. Nevertheless, its worth a try.
What you need to have:
1. Basumati rice – 1 cup
2. Chopped Spring Onions & greens – 1 cup
3. Green chillies – 3-4
4. Chopped Garlic cloves – 2 Teaspoons
5. Resins – A handful
6. Cashews – A handful
7. Garam Masala powder – 3/4 teaspoon
8. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
9. Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
Ingredients of Garlic rice
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop spring greens and onions and chop it fine and keep it aside separately. Peel and chop garlic pods as well. Wash and slit Green chillis also.
2. Wash and drain water from rice and cook it in the cooker adding required quantity of water till done. Add 1 teaspoon raw oil to it and keep it aside to cool down.
Cooked Basumati rice
3. Place a skillet with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add chopped garlic to it and in between add slit green chillies to it from step 1.
Chopped garlic cloves and green chillies being fried in seasoning
3.When done, add resins, cashews and chopped spring onions and the greens together and required quantity of salt to the dish.
Spring onions & grens being fried in seasoning
4. When done add Garam masala to it. Add cooked rice from step 2 to it and mix well. Check for salt and squeeze lemon juice. You may serve hot with a salad but I have noticed that people prefer to enjoy it plain to relish the strong garlic flavor ! This dish serves as lunch box as well.
Ready to serve Garlic Rice
Garlic rice with Salad & sauce
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings: 3-4