For those of you who are not familiar, Kadgi is Raw jack/Halsinkayi. I have already put up the popular Konkani dish Kadge Chakko, a coconut based gravy dish, Jackfruit Dosa, Jackfruit Sweet Idlis and Jackfruit Pudding. What I am putting up today though is a stir fry and hence a much simpler dish. It should take less than 25 mins if you have cut jackfruit ready.
What you need to have:
1. Chopped raw jack – 1 cup
2. Chopped Tomato – 1 Tablespoon
3. Chopped onions – 2 Tablespoons
4. Chopped garlic pods – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Dhania-jeera powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
9. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
10. Cooking oil – 1 Tablespoon
Raw jack being halved
Outer skin being pealed
Chopped fine raw jack
Ingredients of raw jack stir fry
What you do with what you have:
1. Cut, peal raw jack and chop fine as shown in the images 1, 2, and 3. Wash, peal and chop onions and garlic pods fine. Also wash and chop tomatoes, coriander leaves fine as shown in image 4 and keep it aside.
2. Cook chopped jack in the cooker adding little salt till done. (Cooked raw jack is as shown with the ingredients in the above image.)
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add cumin seeds to it. When it sputters add chopped garlic pods from step 1 to it and fry till done. Add chopped tomatoes to it and when it turns mushy , add chopped onions also from step-1 to it together with salt required to the dish and stir well. When it turns transparent, add turmeric powder, Dhania-jeera powder, chilli powder one after the other.
Seasoning in progress
4. Stir in cooked jack from step-2 to it and mix well.
Ready to serve raw jack stir fry
5. Add chopped coriander leaves from step-1 to it and enjoy hot with either rice or chapati.
A closer view of the dish
A good combo with chapati
How long it takes: 45 mins ( including cutting jackfruit )
Number of servings: 4-5