Oats are very healthy. We have Oats for dinner by cooking it in milk adding some flavour like the milk chocklate or the chocolate powder is a well-known practice. I would like to put up Oats Idli to add to the long list of Idlis I have put up on this blog. It is easy and can be prepared instantly without any soaking or fermentation. Here, by the way, are over a dozen varieties of Idlis posted on this blog earlier !
What you need to have:
1. Bombay sujee – 1/2 cup
2. Oats – 3/4 cup
3. Vermicelli (Bambino) – 1/2 cup
4. Curds – 1 cup and approximately 1/2 cup water
5. Cooking soda – 3/4 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Oat Idlies
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Bengal gram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Cashews – A handful
4. Resins – A handful
5. Chopped Green chillies – A little (I have not added)
6. Grated carrots – 1 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning
Ingredients of Garnishing:
1. Fresh grated coconut – A handful
2. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil on medium flame. When heated, add mustard seeds and Bengalgram dal to it. The mustard splutters and Bengal gram dal is fried. Now add chopped green chillies , dry fruits and when fried add Bambino vermicilli to it and fry for a while.
2. Add grated carrots to it and when it is half done add sujee to it and fry it till you get a nice aroma. By then the carrot would turn crimpled and it is the right time to switch off the flame and keep it aside. When it is a little warm add oats and mix it.
Fried mixture of sujee, vermicilli and carrots
2. Beat curds in the mixer with a little quantity of water to it. Transfer it to a broad bowl and add salt, cooking soda, a little sugar and stir in the above mixture from step 1 to it. Add chopped coriander leaves, a little fresh grated coconut and keep it aside for about 15 minutes.
Oat Idli mix
3. Stir the mix well and check for salt and also the consistency of the Idli mix. (At times the quantity of water depends upon the thickness of sujee and the quality of oats as well.)
4. Fill in the dough in the idli moulds by greasing the same with either butter or ghee. Steam the same in the cooker as usual for about 20 minutes and is as below.
Steamed Oat idlies
5. Enjoy with any wet chutney of your choice. Here are some wet chutney options if you want to try one of those.
Ready to serve Oat idlies with chuney & chutney powder
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of Idlis: 12